New Organisation or Reviewing your Structure?
If you are starting a new charity, social enterprise or trust or looking to develop your organisation to the next level, choosing the right corporate structure is a critical decision to get right. There are a variety of different legal formats to choose from, each with advantages and disadvantages and distinctive features.
We have extensive experience of setting up a variety of different legal formats, including:
- Companies limited by shares
- Companies limited by guarantee
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Community Interest Companies (CICs)
- Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIOs)
- Community Benefit Societies (cooperatives and mutuals)
We can help you choose the right format with clear advice on the features and benefits and will tailor the constitution to suit your goals.
We can also help you with…
- running an incorporated entity, dealing with returns to Companies House, Charity Commission or FCA, appointing directors and shareholders, holding company meetings
- training and coaching for newly appointed directors and trustees to understand their duties
- preparing to take out loans or raise external investment, restructuring in case of financial difficulties
- drawing up contracts and agreements, e.g. standard terms and conditions
- acquiring and disposing of property
- preparing to merge with or acquire another organisation – what you should look out for and how to protect yourself
- applying for permits and licences
- avoiding disputes and claims by having the right policies and procedures in place to cover health & safety and employment issues
- resolving disputes quickly and cost-effectively
Why choose us?
Having worked with a wide range of charities, social enterprises and mutuals over the past 20 years, we understand the challenges you face and the pressures you are under.
We can quickly help you make the right decisions and provide cost-effective practical solutions, providing peace of mind and reassurance.
Our team is led by experienced commercial lawyer and company secretary, Mark Johnson. With over 21 years in legal practice advising private, public and third sector clients and experience of running his own businesses. Mark offers practical no-nonsense advice to help your organisation flourish.
You may be interested in…
What clients say
Mark has supported our group with a company secretarial service, strategic advice on contracts and funding options. He has a pragmatic commercial approach and provides a responsive, friendly service. His support has been invaluable.
Elderflower Legal has helped us to manage commercial risks and resolve problems quickly and effectively. Mark’s approach is to ‘roll up his sleeves’ and provide practical support, rather than legal theory.
Mark has worked with us on setting up a new trading model and bidding for a major new service contract. He provides clear, pragmatic advice and a responsive service.
Mark is an experienced and knowledgeable Legal Adviser who has provided a wealth of services to our groups, including a company secretarial service and strategic advice on all manner of contracts, leases, policies and funding options. His support has been invaluable and his practical yet open approach has proved second to none.